Friday, March 7, 2008

Autism and Vaccinations

It seems like there has been a bombardment of this issue in the news. I was watching Larry King on CNN, and there was a family on who were convinced that the vaccinations worsened their daughters condition. I don't know why, but this has always been such a touchy subject with me. Personally, I don't think that the vaccinations caused Dylan's autism. He was showing a lot of different signs before his MMR vaccination. A lot of them were sensory related. One thing that really bothers me about the vaccinations, is that if they did cause it, then I am somewhat responsible. I know there was no way that I could have known, but I could have stopped it. Anyway, this is just something that has been on my mind quite a bit lately, and I was hoping if I got it out, then it wouldn't bother me so much. I appreciate everyone putting up with my post.

3 comments:

Emilee said...

I understand your concern, & I think it's hard to know what to do! Wait until you read my post later about my reaction to Caitlyn's shot 'reaction'.

Callisters said...

I know the worries you have as a parent! We honestly do the best we can with the things that we know. I know that has always been one of my big concerns with shots and my Dr and I have had many converstaions over it. On a Dr. side-if it was the cause then why would we give them! I some what have to agree, for some reason it is needed that they get the shots. And right now getting ready to sign Marcus up for school he has to be all caught up with his shots, I can't imagine not doing it or getting behind and having to do it all now, the few we have to get right now will be hard enough!

Ashley-you seem like a such a great little mommy! Heavenly Father knew that you would be a great mom to be able to handle this trail in your life. Regardless about when he got shots, you were just doing the best you could and what all of us moms do.

Sometime I will need to get your email or number so I can tell you a little story.. Have a great day!

Wendy said...

All you can do is the best you know how for your kids. I think when there's something like autism that is so hard to understand, and something that the medical community can't explain, people want answers, and so they try to find ways to explain it. I'm sure that some people really have witnessed an autism/MMR shot connection, but if it wasn't the shot that triggered it, something else may have. Ultimately, it's all in Heavenly Father's hands. As parents we have to make the best decisions we can with the knowledge we have, and He takes it from there. Sometimes it's not the way we'd pictured it, but it's never without purpose.